Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nap Mat Covers

One of my primary goals in learning to sew was to be able to do those projects (usually for school or church) where the kid needs something and someone involved looks at you, the parent, and says, "You can just make one -- they are so easy to sew!"

A nap mat cover falls into this category nicely. It's really just a pillow case made to measure with velcro (and I think you could make one without the velcro and it would be just fine).

I "measured" the fabric by putting the nap mat on top of it and cutting around, leaving enough for the seam allowances and the thickness of the mat, with extra room at the top so that the cover could stay on the mat when it's folded up without slipping off.

I then took the two pieces and hemmed the top, sewing the velcro on the folded over edges.

Next was just putting the two hemmed pieces right sides together and sewing the other three sides.

I went ahead and finished the edges on the inside so that the whole thing wouldn't unravel against the mat and then I made a coordinating pillow and blanket.

I can't say this makes nap time fun, but it can't hurt.

The first one went so well that I did the exact same thing for my son, just in more boyish colors.

1 comment:

Fit Accountability said...

Does it fold up okay with the fabric fitting snug against the mat? I was wondering how it would work when you fold it, if the fabric would be too tight that it wouldn't be able to fold?