Thursday, September 3, 2009

Crinkly Taggie Squares

You know what Taggies are, right?

The idea is that babies like the tag on blankets and so why not have a whole blanket with tags all around it. You can find them all over the place and they are pretty pricey.

Another thing that babies like is crinkly things. That's why so many baby toys have a crinkly part.

Put the two together and you have crinkly taggie squares:


I found out about these from Melissa over at Chasing Cheerios and she found the original tutorial here.

And since both of those lovely ladies have excellent tutorials on their sites, I won't both to post my own.

I will say, though, when Melissa says she uses cereal bags for the crinkly part, she means cereal, not crackers, not goldfish, not anything other random bag you can find in your pantry. Fail, fail, fail.

Only cereal bags will work (well, some people say wipes packages and microwave popcorn wrappers, but only cereal bags worked for me).

Yes, this does mean that all five kinds of cereal in the house are now stored in ziplocks.

But my son loved the square:

And since the squares went so well, I thought I would try Melissa's taggie giraffe as well:


Once again, her tutorial is excellent, so I won't include much of one on mine. But I will say, as I was trying to sew all around this giraffe, with all of it's rounded edges, I kept thinking of Melissa's step 5: "I handed the giraffe over to my mom, and she sewed all around it leaving a small hole for turning."

I wish I had a mom who would do the hard parts. :)

Final giraffe... very cool, I think. And notice that it coordinates with the taggie crinkly square as well. I'm thinking baby shower gifts (and if you happen to be the friend of mine whose shower I'm going to this weekend and you happen to read this blog, act surprised).

4 comments:

Kara Hazen said...

You did a great job making these! I need to learn to sew...

DebraLynn said...

Those both look great. I am quite impressed.

Rebecca said...

Thank you!

Catherine said...

Ah, brilliant! I'm so glad tags are a universal baby toy, as I was (and still am sometimes) worried about the tag obsessor in our home (he's now 15 mo's and still seeks out tags for kicks sometimes...). What a cute giraffe and matching taggie squares. I hope the big batch sells (or sold) well in the craft thing.