Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Broken Machine?

Last week, my machine jammed up. I finally got it to the shop today. The place I take it is owned and operated by an older gentleman I'll call "Mr. C." Mr. C is amazing. He's old enough to be my grandpa, and he totes sewing machines around like nobody's business and can sew even more impressively. This is my conversation with Mr. C:

Me: I think I broke my machine, or slightly less likely (gesturing to my toddler), she broke it while I wasn't looking.

Mr. C: Well, let's take a look.

(Mr. C sets up my machine, threads it, and sews a perfect stitch.)

Me: I guess it's like going to the mechanic for your car. It's going to work just fine for you, isn't it.

Mr. C: Well, I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe you were threading it wrong.

Me: Let me try while I'm here.

(I sit down, thread the machine and then it jams up again.)

Mr. C: Hmmm. I'll look at it again.

(Another perfect round of stitching.)

Mr. C: Yep, you must be threading it wrong, but I can't say I see what you did wrong.

Me: Let me do again.

(I start threading the machine, slowly this time.)

Mr. C: Now, did you hook the thread here? (Gesturing at a never before seen hook by the needle.)

Me: No, should I?

Mr. C: Well, it won't work if you don't.

Me: I guess that was the problem, then.

Mr. C: It sure looks that way. Can I help you carry the machine back out to the car?


Problem solved. The new mystery is how I got it to work for three weeks without ever noticing that hook.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I'm going to believe that you hooked it there the whole time and today it was new. It could have been an accidentaly hooking.


Hmm would that stand up in court?